Wednesday 29 January 2014

Chinese New Year 2014

Whether  we are celeberatiing Chinese New Year or not it is holiday time where everyone is buzy balik kampung. 

I grew up in Rawang, where all my neighbours were Chinese. The one thing I remember is the fire crackers. They just go on and on. With each one competing  who has the longest string. Even, in Segambut where I lived the last 30 years was also fun. The irritable fun. It starts at mid night and goes on till the next morning. 

The 2, is the lion dance, they have different groups and each one performing better the the other. My sibling and me will rush out the moment we hear the signature sound of the drums. I think even my children and my nieces and nephews do that till today and we truly enjoy it.

Than comes, the market. Not only the Chinese buying for makan besar preparation , the non Chinese too buzy because those days we did not have hyper markets and most of the traders were Chinese. They will close like 3 to 5 days. My mum also would buy vegetables and stock up.

How can I forget ......the mandarin oranges boxes and boxes of them, flowers and the prayer items. Definately a festive mood whether I am celebrating Chinese New Year or not.

This year my Chinese New Year is in Sungai Buloh, where I think I can have peaceful sleep to night with only a very small population of Chinese in my township and everyone seems to have balik kampung. Time to sit back and wait for my family and friends to come around.

Happy New Year ...Kong Hee Fatt Chye...

No comments:

Post a Comment