Thursday 26 November 2015

Amma......23/6/1939 - 22/11/2015


The journey of a great, strong willed and hardworking lady....my Amma... MAdam Narayanamah...

Born in the village of Bangaram Palum, Anakapali District, Andhra Pradesh. When she was about 2 years old her parents Mahaletchumanan Naidu and Soomulammah decided to move for a better life to Malaya. ..that was in the year 1941.

She started her childhood in Kerling Estate, Selangor. However, when she was about 10 years old her mother passed away after giving birth to her 3rd child, her younger Sister. With a 4 year old Brother and a baby Sister she was forced giving up schooling to take care of the family and siblings, to take over the duty as a Mother....

When she was about 13 or 14 years old, she started working in the house of estate manger as a domestic helper. It was here where my dear mum picked up her cooking skills. She was someone who is able to observe and pick up whatever skills...that's why we call her master of all skills...cooking, sewing, embroidery, handyman at home to all the repairs , even paintings....I remember her sewing dresses for my sisters and meI for festivals, she used to do embroidery for sarees which my Father sold his shop, chopping up firewood....she could multitask anytime.....and that amazes me until today...

Well, on how my parents got married....this is their story....My Father used to be an oil merchant ..supplying oil to the estates....it was on one of his trips that he met this beautiful girl...he made some enquirers about her and made his Sister ask her hand in marriage. His proposal was receivd by my Grandfather the late Mahaletchumanan. Then, my Father 's elder Brother The late Letchuman made a visit to see the bride for for his younger Brother and he was very impressed with his future Sister in law...they were married on 10 June 1954. Like all old Indian traditions ...she had to stay with her father until she attended puberty...then she officially came to stay with her groom ....my dear Father the late Tanakala Apparao.....

They were initially staying in waterfall estate. As my Father owned half a shop in Rawang town, she moved in with him after sometime. So their life began in No.15, Jalan Welman, Rawang.... She had her 2 kids there, which was my elder Sister and myself. After a few years, Father managed to buy another shop where we stayed in the new place until I went to standard 1. As business was better in the former shop, we eventually moved into No. 15 Welman Street, Rawang. My two younger brothers were born here. 
15 Welman street holds abundance of joy , laughter and also sad memories...... If only the walls could talk, I am sure they will have a lots to say.

Amma was a great inspiration and a great lady... She is called the Elizabeth Rani...reason being...she was so fair and beautiful....I have never seen anyone more beautiful than her in my whole life....

As she aged, Her physical body was suffering...it was painful seeing her suffer....I had to let her go....

She is no more with us...I hope you have attained peace and salvation Amma...and finally united with Father after a Long 13 years wait since his demise.

If I were to have another birth ... I would want to be born to you again...

We miss you Amma and love you very much...........







No comments:

Post a Comment